Monday, September 25, 2017

Culturally Responsive Reflection

In my culturally responsive teaching class, I have learned that is important to address events that are broadcasted on the news. I should not just let the topic wander in the air because it could be affecting one or more of my students. The event could be the only thing on their minds, which can affect their learning time. A whole class discussion is necessary to address these important subjects so the students feel safe and comfortable within my classroom. For example, the latest events were about the hurricane in Puerto Rico and the earthquake in Mexico City. A lot of people were affected by these natural disasters. My students are going to be aware of this because there is a chance that they will have family members or other loved ones who live in those affected areas. So, part of being culturally responsive is to address these important subjects to discuss with my students, possibly even brainstorm how we could help, and take action.  
              Something else that I have learned is the danger of a single story. We cannot judge a person by a “single story”. The books we are exposed to about Native Americans, are presented to us by an American’s point of view. I have never read a book about Native Americans written in their perspective. Therefore, I need to put some serious thought into selecting books for my students so that they are exposed to a variety of culturally responsive books.   
              Culturally responsiveness, to me, is like zooming in and out of a big picture. It is being aware of factors globally, nationally, and locally. And in that big picture, I am including the students’ cultural references in all aspects of learning and having a positive perspective on parents and families.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hyperdoc

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VCLrZu8Itl2MPlRNKHzgio6uoHEEGmUXhg2vz9X5Pic/edit?usp=sharing